BWMK’s Kevin G. Burke, David J. Rashid Co-author Article on Strokes in Trial Journal
Attorneys Kevin G. Burke and David J. Rashid of Burke Wise Morrissey Kaveny have co-authored with another local attorney an article about strokes in the summer 2015 edition of Trial Journal.
The nine-page professional article, “Time Is Brain,” which is now available online, appears in Vol. 17, No. 2 of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association publication. The third co-author is Gregory F. Coplan of Oak Park.
Among the medical facts raised by the writers are the following:
- 32,000 brain cells die every minute during a stroke
- Strokes are the fourth leading cause of death in the United States
- Strokes are the leading cause of permanent disability in the United States
- Strokes affect 795,000 U.S. patients each year
- A variety of medications and interventions that could benefit stroke victims have not been accepted by the FDA and are rarely used.
The article reports that hemorrhagic strokes account for about 20 percent of the total number of strokes. Non-hemorrhagic (ischemic) strokes originate about 80 percent of the time with the brain’s anterior circulation through the internal carotid arteries, the article says. The rest originate in the vertebral arteries.
The article presents three scenarios that doctors might encounter, with various fact patterns, standards of care and proximate cause issues.